Freedom of Information
The statutory functions performed by the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland as registration body for the purposes of Part 3 of the Building Control Act, 2007 are subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act, 2014.
In accordance with Section 8 of the Freedom of Information Act 2014 the RIAI is required to publish a scheme concerning the publication of information in conformity with the model publication scheme approved by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform in October 2015.
The RIAI Freedom of Information Publication Scheme V2.1 5 Jan 2017 can be accessed here.
For further information on Freedom of Information see http://foi.gov.ie/
The FOI Act provides that every person has the following legal rights:
- the right to access official records held by Government Departments or other public bodies as defined by the act.
- the right to have personal information held on them corrected or updated where such information is incomplete, incorrect or misleading;
- the right to be given reasons for decisions taken by public bodies that affect them.
Freedom of Information requests to the RIAI should be addressed as follows:
The FOI Officer
Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland
8 Merrion Square
Telephone: +353 (0)1 676 1703
Applications for Information
- Requests must be in writing. (A sample application form is available here).
- The request must specify that it is being made under the FOI Act
- The request should specify if the information is required in particular format e.g. photocopy, CD ROM etc.
- The request should be clear and as specific as possible. In cases where it is not clear what information is being requested the RIAI will assist you in drafting your request in such a way that the information sought can be identified.
- If the request is in connection with personal information you will be required to provide appropriate identification.
- You should pay the prescribed fee (if applicable) as set out below.
- The RIAI is obliged to acknowledge your request within 10 working days and respond to your request within 20 working days (4 weeks) unless an extension of time is required.
Search and Retrieval and Copying Fees
Fees are applied in respect of the time spent searching and retrieving records that are released to you and in respect of copying of such records. Where the cost of search and retrieval and copying is €100 or less then no fee will be charged. Where a fee has been estimated at over €100 a deposit of an amount of no less than 20% must be sought by the RIAI. A maximum fee of €500 applies. Where a fee has been estimated in excess of €700 the Act provides that a request can be refused unless the request is refined and the estimate brought below this limit. Search and retrieval of records will not commence until the deposit has been received.
In most cases there are no search and retrieval or copying charges. Where the request relates to your own personal records search and retrieval fees are not applicable unless there is a considerable number of records.
Fees for search and retrieval and copying
|Search and retrieval||
€20 per hour
|Photocopying per page||
€0.04 per page
Review and Appeal Fees
A charge applies to reviews and appeals to the Office of the Information Commissioner concerning access to non-personal records.
|Fees for requests and reviews||Fee||Reduced Fee (Medical Card Holders)|
External Review (by the Information Commissioner)
For further information visit the FOI website here.